- Along with books, movies on DVD, music CD's, and recorded books on CD, the library offers downloadable audiobooks for iPods and MP3 players.
- Online Homework Help with live tutors is available in English and Spanish for students in grades 4 through 12.
- Public computing and free wireless access to the Internet is provided at all locations.
- Laptop computers are available for use at all locations.
- Early Literacy computers which promote language skills are provided at most HPL locations.
- Professional librarians provide reference services to assist citizens in finding information, in-person, by telephone and online via our Info 24/7 reference service.
- Materials from anywhere within our system can be requested online and picked up at any of our neighborhood library locations.
- Playgroups: this multi-sensory program provides stories, activities, one-on-one toy time and more for children ages six months to four
- Para los niños/For the Children: this program targets monolingual Spanish speaking parents and their children, ages 3-8.
- Videogames: Structured gaming sessions are scheduled in many locations.
- Weekly story times for babies, toddlers, preschoolers, and school-age children.
Teen and adult programs are also offered at all libraries. During the summer, children and teens participate in the Summer Reading Program, a two-month program of incentives and events to encourage reading and library use. In 2009, 34,101 children and youth participated in this program.
For information on your local library, visit our location page.